Close Ups of Progress

Megan Close up


Nearly done

Nearly done






Seeking Teens for My Project

Do you know a teen that would be interested in being part of my project “A Portrait of American Teens”?

I am looking for teen subjects that would bring diversity to the group of paintings. Diversity in many forms: could be ethnicity, family structure, personality, interests and goals. If you have a teen in mind, let me explain the process. I have subjects fill out a questionnaire and provide me with a candid photo of themselves. If I decide that they are a good fit for the group, meaning that they capture something different from what I already have, we would meet to get to know one another. If the process goes further, I would arrange for a photo shoot. As I get to know the teen, I will be formulating ideas about how to focus on what it is about them that I want to present to the viewer of the painting. I normally paint the portrait from the reference photos, although in some circumstances, if the teen is available, I may ask them to sit for me in order to make some prepatory sketches.

There is no monetary compensation for their time,  although I can provide the teen with a cd of the images from their photo shoot. The finished painting, photos and any sketches made belong to me as well as rights to reproduction.  I will not photograph or paint any portrait that is pornographic or defamatory in nature and parents and or guardians are welcome during any or all of this process.

If you or a teen you know a teen who might be interested, please contact me through the contact page of this blog.

Finished Painting of Megan


Clarity came after putting this away for a little while. The background was too cluttered and it needed some quiet space. I removed the tree trunk and think it made a big difference. Now the focus is where it belongs, on her!

Painting Nearing Completion

Meganprogress5   Meganprogess6   Meganprogress7

The painting of Megan is close to being done! It’s time to put it away so I can come back with a fresh eye and see what it needs in order to finish it up.

Here are some of the changes I made along the way.

Photo on far left:

The background has developed: darkened the shadow. Lots of work and rework on the jacket. All of these folds are giving me fits! I am bothered by the shoulder area and the associated folds and details. This area is still to be resolved. The face continues to be developed and changed to refine the likeness.

Photo in the middle:

It’s the jacket again! I realized that the drawing was off and ended up repainting quite a bit. It’s getting closer and starting to feel like there is actually a body under there. There has been a lot more refining on the face as well as the hair. I painted the right hand. Background is coming along, but I am still not quite happy. I will continue to figure it out.

Photo on the right:

I am pleased with the changes to the background. Moving the leaves all the way across has helped as well as developing some other dark areas. The tree trunk was reworked because it was drawing too much attention. I placed a shadow along the path to balance the strong directional line of the bench. Little changes were made to the shoulder and back area which made a huge difference. Don’ t know if you can see it, but a little more volume was given to the back and the values are working much better now. Again, many small refinements to the face. It’s incredible how small the changes in value and color in many areas of her cheek, but it’s made a big difference in getting the likeness. Pale skin is really beautiful because of the color subtleties. I will post some of the close-ups.